Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Art of Being Broke

As I mentioned in a previous post, I often find myself running out of spending cash for a couple of days a month. The really strange thing is I don’t notice it most of the time. Why? I plan for it.

During those few days of being broke I plan activities that cost nothing and by filling up my time during that period I don’t even notice the days that I’m broke.

Some of my favorite activities include:

- Go the library and check out a few books and a couple of DVD’s.
- Clean the house/yard or do some other chores I’ve been avoiding
- Go through the house and write up the monthly grocery list and then go shopping (the food budget is separate from my spending cash)
- Write (either a blog entry, short story or get back to that novel idea)
- Dig into your home DVD collection and watch an old favorite
- Visit family/friends and drink their coffee (it even cheaper than drinking your own coffee)

So next time your broke for a day or two, I suggest looking at it as a challenge. You might even find you enjoy not spending money.

No comments: